The futuristic theme of the set in UNEXPECTED FAMILIAR draws inspiration from a design movement from the 1980s called ‘Memphis’, which was inspired by a merging of Art Deco and Pop Art culture. For this shoot, we leaned nostalgically back to these movements, juxtaposing them with echoes of the ‘60s to deliver a new modernity.
Though the Art Deco and Pop Art cultures were heavily misunderstood, these design movements influenced the ‘80s in many ways – from furniture to art and even through to home-wares. The UNEXPECTED FAMILIAR collection defines and presents a collection of sophisticated styles that are both unexpected… yet also familiar.
- Apply LEAVE-IN.REPAIR to damp hair and smooth with ROLL.BRUSH.
- Then, apply ANTI.GRAVITY and sandblast in to the hair.
- Starting at the nape, use a medium sized curling tong with the ‘flip set’ technique, then cool around a large roller all off of the base for minimal volume.
- Back brush the hair flat, but combine together, let the style sit, then brush it out with SESSION.SPRAY and PIN.CLIPS.
- To perfect the indent and crests of the wave, use a medium sized curling tong and finish with SHIMMER.ME BLONDE.
Hair: Kevin Murphy
Photographer: Luis Murphy
Hair Team: Nathan Gorman, Wade Blackford, James Nicholson, with PLATINUM.KEYS Mhari McQueen and Alyx Hitchins
Digital/Video: John O’Rourke, Reuben Gates
Models: Frankie Bon Scotney, Zoe Barnard, Taylah Roberts, Emm Vernon-Skewes
Wardrobe: Emily Ward
Make-Up: Kenneth Higgins
Location: Melbourne, Australia
BTS Photographer: Olliver Freeman
Producer: Debbie Walters